Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- Can an ex-employee ask for "all data about me" that their ex-employer holds about them?
- Can an employer monitor an employee's work telephone bills or read their messages if concerned about conduct in the absence of a communications policy?
- Please confirm your understanding of a provider of electronic communication service in the context of Article 6, 7 and 8 of the draft E-Privacy Regulations?
- How do you comply with the data protection requirements in the UK and more generally in the EU, and how do you obtain consent from the data subject when you place tracking pixels on your website to allow triggered marketing emails?
- What rules affect a not-for-profit organisation's fundraising list of contacts?
A review of the nature and scope of UK data protection laws including a discussion of the application of those laws in specific areas such as direct marketing.
Visit our Brexit landing page for a collection of content on the legal implications of the UK’s decision to leave the EU.
The EU General Data Protection Regulation ((EU)2016/679) (GDPR) will apply in EU member states from May 2018. Practical Law has published a toolkit which contains key resources and guidance to assist organisations in preparing for and complying with the GDPR, including consideration of the impact of Brexit.
Practical information on topical cross-border data protection issues and country-specific Q&As on data protection law and practice.
- House of Commons Library publishes briefing paper on Brexit: trade aspects
- European Citizens' Initiative: European Commission registers two ECIs on the rights of EU citizens after Brexit and rejects one on preventing Brexit
- Revised Local Public Services Data Handling Guidelines published by NLAWARP
- Practical Law In-house: new content
- House of Lords committee report on Brexit and non-financial services
We will soon be launching the new Practical Law UK, bringing a more streamlined look and feel, an improved search capability and many new features. Stay tuned for more information.