Contracts and professional appointments
- Building contracts and contractors
- Engineering contracts
- General contract and boilerplate
- International construction contracts
- Professional appointments and liabilities
About this practice area
NEC: A spirit of mutual trust and comprehension?
Iain Suttie, associate director, Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP
"Opinion has ranged on clause 10.1's meaning. Some people [suggest] that it… must fundamentally condition (or qualify) each party's entitlements under the contract. Others have argued for a more restricted interpretation."
The more things change, the more they stay the same
Helena White, barrister, Hardwicke
"It is a warning that disgruntled defendants should not be blinded, in the post-adjudication panic, to the fact that the TCC is unwilling to stray too far from the enduring principle founded by Dyson J in Macob."
Interplay between dispute provisions of NEC3 framework and supply contracts considered
Matt Molloy, director, MCMS Ltd
"I'm sure that we have all wondered from time-to-time about how framework agreements and the contracts that sit under them interact… Clause 93 applied to disputes about the supply of concrete because that is what the parties' sub-contract dealt with."
Mediation update: fundamental principles and the Irish Mediation Bill 2017
Elizabeth Repper, barrister, Keating Chambers
"Some provisions in the Bill aren't commonplace in England and Wales. However, the fundamental principles of mediation do appear..."
Ask questions, browse answers and share your knowledge. Read our scope and rules.
- Can I make the contract administrator carry out the inspections I agreed in my settlement agreement with the building contractor?
- Does a settlement agreement between an employer and a contractor bind a third party beneficiary of a collateral warranty provided by the contractor?
- Can a collateral warranty be entered into with multiple beneficiaries?
- Can we appoint the same person to be the adjudicator in multiple adjudications between the same parties?
- When does a notice under section 36 of the Building Act 1984 commence?
For a Q&A guide to construction and projects law and developments in key jurisdictions, see Construction and projects multi-jurisdictional guide.
Access your favourite English law, Scots law and tax titles from publisher Bloomsbury Professional.
FastDraft helps you to create documents faster by using shortcuts such as importing data from your existing projects, your contacts or from Companies House.
Visit our Brexit landing page for a collection of content on the legal implications of the UK’s decision to leave the EU.
For specimen copies of the JCT contracts and guidance notes, see:
- NIC report on international best practice for strategic infrastructure planning
- New practice note on the operation of a biomass power plant
- Recent environmental, construction and health and safety offence sentencing updates
- Scottish Procurement Policy Note on building information modelling
- House of Commons Library publishes briefing paper on Brexit: trade aspects
We will soon be launching the new Practical Law UK, bringing a more streamlined look and feel, an improved search capability and many new features. Stay tuned for more information.
Keating on Construction contracts is the fundamental text for research on the history and principles governing building contracts; their practical application and their interpretation by the courts.